Contact Us: (617) 714-4375 |
Contact Us: (617) 714-4375

October 2016

USCIS Fees to Increase on 12/23/2016

Important notice! USCIS will increase most fees starting on December 23, 2016. This means that if you file Form I-130 or Form I-140 (“immigrant petition”), Form I-485 (adjustment of status, “green card”), Form I-129 (worker petition for visas including H1B and L), N-400 (citizenship) and many, many other forms, the fees will be increased starting on December 23, 2016. Any application postmarked on December 23 or after must include the increased fees.

You can see all of the new fees at the USCIS website.

Eligibility to Apply for a Green Card as a Refugee or Asylee

If you were granted a refugee or asylee status by the US, 1 year after your entry to the US as a refugee or asylee you become eligible to apply for a green card/permanent resident status.

1 year after being admitted to the US, refugees are required by law to apply for a permanent resident status. Although the asylees are not required to apply for a permanent resident status 1 year after being granted asylum status in the US, you should consult with an immigration lawyer to see if applying for a green card is your best option.

Visa Revocation Due to a DUI Arrest or Conviction in the US

Can a Consular Officer End Validity of a Visa due to a Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Arrest or Conviction while the visa holder is in the US?

The answer is yes. If a visa holder is arrested/convicted due to a DUI violation while physically present in the US, the Department of State’s consular officers may revoke the visa, meaning ending the validity of a visa without making a determination that the visa holder is inadmissible.

It is important to know that cancellation of a visa by the Department of State/consular officers does not override the visa status granted by Customs and Border Protection at the time of entry to the US or the visa holder’s stay in the US. However, the visa holder should know that the visa is not valid for future entries to the US if the visa holder travels outside the US. The individual has to apply for a new visa and demonstrate eligibility, which s/he may not be able to do on account of the DUI arrest/conviction.

© Copyright 2014 Law Office of Ellen Sullivan, P.C. This website does not constitute a representation agreement with Attorney Sullivan or anyone else at the firm. The information on this website is not intended to, nor does it in fact, replace legal advice provided by an attorney in an attorney-client consultation. Please contact our office or another immigration attorney if you would like legal counsel. Sitemap