Contact Us: (617) 714-4375 |
Contact Us: (617) 714-4375

September 2016

Should I file to renew my permanent resident card if I have a pending N-400 naturalization application?

Yes, if your card will expire within six months of filing an N-400. No, if you file Form N-400 while your card is valid for at least 6 months. You must be eligible to file Form N-400 at the time you file, regardless of the expiration date of your “green card.”

If you file according to the above timelines, you will be able to obtain proof of your status—a stamp in your passport called “Alien Documentary Identification and Telecommunication” (ADIT) stamp as temporary proof of permanent residence.

$10 million in Grants to Fund Citizenship Preparation Services

USCIS recently funded many community-based organizations that help permanent residents prepare and apply for U.S. citizenship. Look at the information at the USCIS website to see where you may be able to get low-cost or free legal services relating to naturalization. In Boston, Massachusetts, the Irish International Immigrant Center is one of the organizations that recently received funding. Also, look at  Citizenship Resources to use web resources to learn more about the N-400 Application for Naturalization.

If you have complications (such as criminal convictions, tax issues, or lengthy periods of time outside of the US), you should consult with an immigration attorney about your eligibility for US citizenship. I have helped many LPRs with legal complications win citizenship, and I may be able to help you too.

Please visit Citizenship Resources to use web resources that provide learning materials to help permanent residents prepare for the naturalization process.

Change of Address Information (Form AR-11)

Why is it important to notify USCIS about your address change? 
First, federal law requires that all non-US citizens promptly notify USCIS and sometimes other agencies of changes in physical and mailing addresses. The address change must be reported to USCIS and sometimes other agencies like EOIR, ICE, and DOL within five days of the address change. Next, in order to make sure you receive all correspondence from USCIS and other agencies, you want to make sure that USCIS has your updated address. If you fail to report the address change and then miss an important USCIS notice, USCIS is likely to blame you for missing an appointment, interview, hearing or deadline.


How do I change my address with USCIS?

You can complete Form AR-11 and change your address on any pending application or petition by using Online Change of Address service.

Green Card Approved After I-130 Denied

In my practice, I work with many clients who require marriage-based “green card” applications (I-130 Petition for Alien Relative and I-485 Application to Register Permanent Resident).
Recently, I was hired to represent a couple after their own I-130/485 filing was not successful. They came to me with a denied I-130. We immediately re-filed a new I-130/485 package, and within months, we were scheduled for a hearing. In light of the very strong package that we submitted, the interview was very smooth and even fun, and the clients’ case was approved. This good news was especially welcome for the couple because they were expecting a baby only days after the interview!

US Citizenship Naturalization Civics Test

If you think that you are eligible for US citizenship, start studying for the naturalization civics test. There are many study documents available at the USCIS website.

Before you apply for US citizenship, contact my law firm or another immigration attorney and set up a meeting to discuss your eligibility. You may decide to file on your own, but it is always recommended to talk with an attorney before filing.

© Copyright 2014 Law Office of Ellen Sullivan, P.C. This website does not constitute a representation agreement with Attorney Sullivan or anyone else at the firm. The information on this website is not intended to, nor does it in fact, replace legal advice provided by an attorney in an attorney-client consultation. Please contact our office or another immigration attorney if you would like legal counsel. Sitemap